Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Traveling within the Church

The lovely Allie of Here is the Church has graciously allowed me to post on her blog about a church I found in Victoria, British Columbia. Don't worry, I don't go overboard on my curious love for all things Canadian:

America is never more divided than on the topic of Canada.

Perhaps that was an overstatement, but I often laugh at the split opinion amongst Americans when speaking about Canada. The majority of the United States is ignorant about the Great White North, but that doesn't stop them from having opinions about it:

Why isn't it the 51st state in the union? Isn't that where snow comes from? Hockey, eh?

Personally, I have a fervent, yet random love for Canada. After all, the first novel I read was the Prince Edward Isle-set Anne of Green Gables. That can make a big impact on a girl. 

It has always fascinated me to think there is an English-speaking country just north of us. When I met several Canadian friends a few years ago, I realized they are so much different than Americans, despite our similar language. Eh?

This summer, I took my first step on Canadian soil and I wish I had a Bryan Adams song to sing for you to commemorate it. I traveled all the way to Seattle for work, where my boyfriend flew out and toured around with me.

We spent a full day on the ferries and in Victoria, British Columbia solidifying my opinion of Canada:

Canada is much like the offspring of America and Europe, while still having its own, unique atmosphere. 

After several hours of walking around the beautiful, tourist-filled city of Victoria, my boyfriend and I stepped into the first Catholic church we found to sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Lo and behold, I think we found one of Victoria's most popular and beautiful churches, St. Andrew's Cathedral.

According to their website, St. Andrew's Cathedral was dedicated on October 30th, 1892.
The red carpet gave it a homey, small church feel, but the size prevented that perspective from taking over. It was the perfect metaphor for the Catholic Church: not only could we walk in there, worshiping the same God, but we could sit in front of the same Sacrament in a busy city, and still feel a "small town" tug.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed Victoria. If you get a chance, you should go to Quebec and see some of the basilicas there. Ste-Anne de Beaupré or St. Joseph's in Montréal are beautiful.

Still... I don't consider Canada the "offspring of America and Europe". The influence of the States is pretty present (like in most of the world now), but it's a more modern thing. We weren't on too good terms before; burning down the White House and other things :P

Or do you mean "America" as in the First Nations? Because then I withdraw my above quibble :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Anonymous!! I want to visit more of Canada!

Oh my goodness!! I hope you see this response because you NEED to know that I do not actually think Canada is the result of Europe and America! I just meant there was a prevalent European/British feel to Victoria, sans accent. It was also a lot more laid back than a lot of the cities in the US and those in Europe that I have visited. The "personality quirks" of Europe (and it's preserved history) seemed to mesh with a few "personalities" that I associate with America in Victoria.

It was an analogy gone wrong!! I promise I'm not as ignorant as that sounded!

Post a Comment

Considering commenting? Indulge the urge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recommended