Friday, December 10, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday, Volume 7

Click here to read the original post at ConversionDiary.com

*1* 
Hello, my name is Elizabeth and I'm a former "feminist."

Hi, Elizabeth.

The women who hoist the 1970s version of feminism onto their shoulders would be offended by me and my mind right now.

On the subject of wifely submission, I have always touted the position of, "Heck no I will not submit! Submission means you agree you're lowly and less than!" As I grow closer to what I believe God is calling me, marriage, I see how small minded this is. This post by "Barefoot and Pregnant" does an outstanding job of explaining the dichotomy. Read to the end, it's worth it.

*2*
Speaking of husband and wife, there is a really cool diagram in this post, as well as an explanation of the most pure moment of sexual desire in the history of time. Intriguing?

*3*
As Wednesday was the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, we sang Salve Regina. My friend elbowed me and immediately, we thought the same thing; we wanted to sing this version:




Restraining and preventing myself from singing that version was like holding in a sneeze.

*4*
PC people hate on/are jealous of Apple people, the world over. I have one friend in my life, in particular, who thinks PCs are better than Macs.  

Rather than explaining the illogicality behind that (and becoming a complete hypocrite), I will share with you this shirt I found on shirt.woot.com. Please check out that site, if only for the genius of the copywriter.




*5*
Prayers and an impressed pat-on-the back go out to the woman who brought Theology of the Body to my church. She's a military wife, so her family has moved around the country for the last 15+ years and has dealt with the separation of long deployments. 

This woman has raised two wonderful daughters who break the mold for what a teenager "should be" in this era. One of them is old enough to be in TOB class--the fact that she chooses to come to class and doesn't complain is jaw-dropping. But this girl wants to be there and she wants to learn what we have to teach. On top of that, she wants to make us feel comfortable and appreciated, though attendance tends to be low.

I had the pleasure of spending some time in her home last week when we were working on lesson plans. I look forward to the challenge and I pray that God guides me (and that I listen) as well as she has to raise the beautiful, grounded, and God-directed family I am fortunate to know.

*6*
It has been way too long since I've gone to a concert I actually wanted to go to... I want to fill my quota for good, live music very soon. 

*7*

Ladies and gentlemen--maybe this is the first time you've read this or maybe this is the gagillionth time you've read this, but it is such an important mission to remember:

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her." -Maya Angelou

10 comments:

Nichole@40daysof said...

Wow! A quote from Maya Angelou that actually makes sense to me. What a great sentiment.

Kevin said...

I don't hate, nor am I jealous of Mac users.

I simply recognize a better manufacturer/operating system when I see one (Windows), and I use it with pride and joy!

That is a pretty cool shirt, though.

Unknown said...

Oh Kevin, I'm teasing. I needed a good intro for that t-shirt.

**To EVERYONE** I want to be clear that I'm not in total agreement with the woman in my first post, but that entertaining anything near it is a drastic shift from what I used to think.

Thanks :)

George @ Convert Journal said...

Thanks Elizabeth for the link to "Barefoot and Pregnant" - it is a really good post. On the TOB - I think of it almost as a "secret" Catholic grace. More people should learn and accept how God's plan will make them much happier right now. Jason Evert and his wife Crystalina teach this to high-school kids and have some wonderful videos.

Unknown said...

It is a little bit of a "secret." If we could explain TOB to people, I think there would be a lot less ignorance infecting people against the Catholic Church.

The Everts are 2/3 of the writers of our textbook! Their website is here. Thanks for your link!

KatieBatie said...

Macs rock. Excellent post overall - bonus points for Whoopie :)

Rebecca@Modestia said...

Elizabeth, the Everts go to my San Diego parish. It's always funny when they walk in because everyone gasps like they just saw Brad & Angelina. LOL

Unknown said...

@Rebecca I bet! That's really cool! Jastalina? That works for me. I'd love to meet and thank them!

Anonymous said...

Love that Angelou quote that I had to share it. PS: Macs rule!

Unknown said...

Right on, Homeboy McCoy.

Post a Comment

Considering commenting? Indulge the urge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recommended