Monday, September 3, 2018

Light's Dawn: A Novella, book review

Light's Dawn: A Novella (Light in the Darkness)Light's Dawn: A Novella by Yvette Bostic
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Light's Dawn is a story of the triumph of good over evil and courage over fear. It's uniquely positioned, beginning as a historical fiction and morphing into a fantasy novella. The prose is succinct and I am glad the author wrote simply instead of with flowery language.

The prose, dialogue and details are not fine-tuned to the historical (early 17th century) era. It's written in modern English, making it easier for young adults and middle grade readers to understand and enjoy. Light's Dawn sets up a series with a decent foundation and easy to picture world building.

I really appreciated how fast-moving the story was; it kept me interested and entertained. About halfway through, I was surprised by a spiritual component planted by the author. The allegory and direct themes to God in the novel are pretty straight-forward, so this is definitely appropriate for a Christian to read. I don't think it would convince someone who was not already a believer and I doubt that was the author's purpose. Raphael, Mikel... where's Gabriel? ;-) Maybe I'll have to read the next books to find out.

Overall, I was entertained and would recommend the book for younger readers. However, I don't think it was quite rich enough for me to invest more time in the series right now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Considering commenting? Indulge the urge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recommended