Thursday, August 23, 2018

The King and the Catholics: The Fight for Religious Liberty in Georgian England, book review

The King and the Catholics: The Fight for Religious Liberty in Georgian EnglandThe King and the Catholics: The Fight for Religious Liberty in Georgian England by Antonia Fraser
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars
Antonia Fraser is clearly one of the most scholarly writers for today's living room history enthusiasts. This book thoroughly investigates a topic that I believe has a dearth of information uncovered: Catholicism in the British Isles after the famous Henry VIII converted the islands on their behalf. I've never learned so much about the intricacies of the time period related to Catholics and it's clear she intimately combed through her research to arrive at the information she shared.

It's not a book for someone who wants a light read for bedtime. I had to concentrate heavily to absorb any of the information. And for what it's worth, I'm Catholic (lots of background knowledge there) and a lifelong Anglophile. I've devoured so much historical and fictional literature about the UK over the years and I had to rely heavily upon that while reading this.

Disclosure: I received an uncorrected proof copy of this book for free from NetGalley in order to review it before it was published.

This book is set to be published on September 25, 2018.

View all my reviews @StartlingtheDay Elizabeth's post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Considering commenting? Indulge the urge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recommended